Monday, April 23, 2018

Simple Steps to a Greener Everyday Life

Simple Steps to a Greener Everyday Life

Becoming apart of the Food, Energy, Water Nexus has meant making adaptations to my daily life. Some examples are some simple purchases that with a low price tag can lead to a great environmental impact:

1. Aluminum water bottle and plastic tote 
Reducing my single use plastic use is a top priority for me. Although I've been using reusable water bottles and canvas bags for years, I couldn't help but purchase these at the Florida Aquarium.  I've previously been using a glass bottle, but it broke, so I thought I'd give this aluminum one a try. What I really like about it, is how long the water stays cool, or rather not hot, unlike my glass bottle. I was worried there would be a metallic taste to the water, but that's not been the case. 




The bottom of the bag reads:
Why choose this reusable tote?
1. Annually an estimated 4 billion plastic bags become litter worldwide.
2. A mere 1% of plastic bags are recycled in the United States.
3. 14 plastic bags contain enough petroleum to drive a car one mile.
4. 12 million barrels of oil are needed to produce the amount of plastic bags the United States use annually.
Thanks for doing your part to protect our environment.

2. Stainless steel straws
I recently made a video about the detriment straws have on our environment. I generally don't use straws as I only really drink plain water and wine.  But from time to time I like to enjoy a Vodka Soda or a Gin and Tonic. I decided to buy this variety pack of stainless steel straws. It comes with 4 straight, 4 bent, as well as 2 brushes and a carrying bag. There's enough for my mom to take one to work, put one in my purse and car, and have a few around the house. What I like about them, is you can use less ice in your drink, as they cool the liquid - an energy saving bonus!


https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Tumblers-SENHAI-Drinking-Cleaning/dp/B06XFSG3H8/ref=sr_1_4_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1524524417&sr=1-4&keywords=set+of+8+stainless+steel+straws
$8.99

My mom tested it out at my restaurant
3. Wool Dryer Balls
According to the Amazon listing these balls are:
  • ALL NATURAL AND ORGANIC: Chemical free alternative to using dryer sheets and one-time use products.
  • ECO-FRIENDLY: ZG-Home's Wool Dryer balls are an eco-friendly alternative to plastic dryer balls that are most frequently seen on television!
  • REDUCES WRINKLES AND LINT: The wool balls' natural anti-static quality will help reduce your need to iron your clothes.
  • REUSABLE UP TO ONE YEAR: Our dryer balls will last over a thousand loads, allowing you to save money on dryer sheets and fabric softeners.
  • SAVE ELECTRICITY: Your appliance usage will shrink as you see your clothes dry up to 25% faster.Re-usable- Lasts over 1,000 loads
 https://www.amazon.com/SnugPad-ZG-Home-Premium-Reusable-Softener/dp/B074PFTJTZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1524524564&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=snugpad+wool+balls&psc=1
$13.95
4. Compost System
As mentioned in my previous blog, I upped my composting game. I bought this compost pail to keep my kitchen scraps in in between adding them to my compost bin. Every 2-3 days I empty it into my new Tumbler Composter. I been able to reduce my organic waste to nearly nothing. With less organic waste going into the trash, means less energy wasted transporting it to a landfill. Any meat/bones I have leftover, I bring in to Dr. Culhane to turn into biofuel!

 https://www.amazon.com/Epica-Stainless-Compost-Gallon-Charcoal/dp/B00AMNCYNQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1524524856&sr=1-1&keywords=Top+Rated+Epica+Stainless+Steel+Compost+Bin+1.3+Gallon-Includes+Charcoal+Filter
$22.95

https://www.amazon.com/Yimby-Tumbler-Composter-Color-Black/dp/B009378AG2/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1524524929&sr=8-1&keywords=Yimby+Tumbler+Composter%2C+Color+Black
$89.00

Through these simple purchases I hope to reduce my carbon footprint. Next up: I'm looking to replace all of my toiletries with Eco-friendly alternatives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Backpacking: Eco-tourism or Overtourism?

Backpacking: Eco-tourism or Overtourism?                When one thinks of a backpacker, there is a certain stereotype that comes to m...